8 days | From £879 | Self-guided, for 2 or more persons travelling together
- Traditional mountain villages of the Troodos
- The wild Akamas peninsula
- Heavenly hiking through fragrant forests and wild flowers
- Take a refreshing dip in the warm waters
The 'Island of Aphrodite' floating on the blue, warm waters of the Mediterranean crossroads between Europe, Asia and Africa is no stranger to visitors. The apostles of Christ walked this land, yet nowadays few bother to venture far from their overcrowded beach to discover the traditional heart and soul of the "Sweet Land of Cyprus". As a result, the discerning walker can escape the crowded beaches and explore the trails and fragrant cedar and pine-wooded forests of the delightful Troodos in peace and welcome tranquillity.
Offering cooler sanctuary away from the heat of the coast the Troodos rise to almost 2000 metres at their highest point of Mount Olympus.
Head to the beautiful Akamas Peninsula where there's always time for a dip in the warm waters.
- Day 1. Arrive Larnaca or Paphos
- Depart UK and arrive at Larnaca or Paphos Airport where you will be met and transferred to your hotel in Agros.
- Day 2. Walk via Mt. Adelphoi to Spilia
- Your route today takes you over the mountains via Mount Adelphoi and then along the Madari Ridge to the village of Spilia. Along the way there are great views down to the coast and of the surrounding hills.
- Day 3. Through Aleppo pine forests to Kakopetria
- Head along an access road before following a forest track and into woodlands. The track emerges out of the woods to each another access road which you follow down to the attractive village of Kakopetria in the pretty Solea Valley.
- Day 4. Pass the painted church of Agios Nikolaos to Troodos village
- Walk via an access road to Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (Saint Nicholas on the Roof) - a fine example of the famous world heritage painted churches of Cyprus. After exploring this interesting sight follow mountain tracks and nature trails up into the higher reaches of the Troodos to Troodos village, with its attractive square and eclectic collection of shops and cafes.
- Day 5. Walk via Prodromos reservoir to Pedoulas
- Walk through the Troodos National Park along mountain roads and forest trail to the Prodromos reservoir, and enjoy excellent views of the main mountain range and across Morfou Bay. Continue to the access road which you then follow to Pedoulas.
- Day 6. Transfer to Pittokopos and walk to the 'Baths of Aphrodite'
- Transfer by private vehicle to Pittokopos near Drouseia village. From here you?ll walk down to the Baths of Aphrodite. Here the Goddess of Love apparently used to bathe in the cool waters of the pond, surrounded by an idyllic landscape and sweet-smelling flowers, and met Adonis who was hunting on the Akamas.
- Day 7. Circuit walk on Adonis and Aphrodite trails in the Akamas
- Follow two circular nature trails (Aphrodite and Adonis of course!) that will lead you into the Akamas forest. Discover the ruins of Pyrgos tis Rigenas, a centuries old oak tree, and enjoy scenic views of various beaches.
- Day 8. Depart Larnaca or Paphos
- Transfer to and depart Larnaca or Paphos. Arrive UK.
- Trip Grade: B - Moderate
- Duration: 8 days
- Trip Code: TCYP
- Max Altitude: 1,950m
- Accommodation: Hotels x 7 nts
- Meals: 7 breakfasts and 6 evening meals included
- Departs: March until November (except August)
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Larnaca or Pafos
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements