Trails of Little Tibet
13 days | From £1,374 | Guided Group Departures
Ladakh is the jewel in India's Crown and this walking holiday will give you a grand introduction to the beautiful landscape and culture of this picturesque and exotic place also known as "Little Tibet".
13 days | From £1,374 | Guided Group Departures
- Spectacular views from Themisgam
- Contrasting scenery
- Explore famous Buddhist Monasteries such as Likir and Thiksey
- Relatively easy trekking
This two-week tour gives a grand introduction to Ladakhi landscape and culture, also known as 'Little Tibet'. This vast high-altitude desert has stunning mountain panoramas and is dotted by small villages inhabited by rugged-looking people of Ladakhi and Tibetan stock.
Our itinerary incorporates a relatively gentle seven-day trek with memorable walking experiences through the beautiful landscape stopping at villages and monasteries en route to immerse with the locals and their culture.
A flight over the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayan Range takes us into Leh where we will spend a couple of days acclimatizing and exploring the local area. Our trek begins from a small village close to Leh and crosses Taru La, a 4200m pass traversing through the deserted plateau. Continue through a canyon onto the green valley of Nye. Trek to Yangtang before descending along the river to Hemis. Lastly we enjoy a scenic day of walking to the prosperous village of Themisgam.
- Day 1. Depart UK
- Depart the UK on an overnight flight to Delhi.
- Day 2. Arrive Delhi
- Arrive in Delhi. Transfer to hotel. Rest of the afternoon to relax.
- Day 3. Fly on to Leh
- An early start this morning. Board a scenic flight to Leh. You will be met on arrival and transferred to the group hotel. Land only clients join the rest of the group at the hotel in Leh. The rest of the day is free to relax and explore the surrounding area.
- Day 4. Full day of sightseeing in Leh
- Today is also an acclimatisation day with sightseeing around the Ladakhi capital. Visit the most important, classic larger monasteries, namely those of Shey, Hemis and Thiksey. Not only are all of these monasteries wonderful examples of Buddhist monastic architecture, with ornate features, they are all located amongst stunning landscapes with spectacular views.
- Day 5. Acclimatisation day; visit Shanti Stupa and old Royal Palace
- After breakfast, visit Stok Palace (also known as the Royal Palace) and Shanti Stupa. An uphill walk over the steps to the Stupa culminates in great views of the valley below. Later we drive to a small village, Taru, which is the starting point of our trek.
- Day 6. Ascend to Taru La
- Our walk begins in a deserted valley with a gradual ascent towards the first pass, Taru La (4,200m). Enjoy breath-taking views from the top before the long, gradual descent on a dusty trail to the village of Umla. Later continue to Nimu village where our camp is located for the night.
- Day 7. Ascend through a canyon onto the green valley of Nye
- Today's trek is fairly short starting with a gradual ascent through a canyon. From here are sweeing views over the green fields of Nimu and the Indus River. Trek onto a deserted plateau to reach the green valley of Nye. The afternoon is free to explore this beautiful village.
- Day 8. Gentle walk to the village of Likir, visit the monastery.
- Today we reach arid and bare landscape. Another fairly gentle day walking upto the village of Likir. After a rest at the camp, visit the monastery and explore the village.
- Day 9. Trek to Yangtang via Sumdo
- Trek through the small village of Sumdo and across a small pass to reach Yangtang. This evening's camp will either be set up near the village school or the river bank.
- Day 10. Walk along the river and descend to Hemis
- Walk in the shade of the trees up to the monastery or Rizong. After the monastery, we continue our trek to cross Nigutse La (3950m) and then descend into Hemis village.
- Day 11. Scenic walking to Themisgam
- Depart Hemis to reach Rongtil La - a fairly flat walk. From here our second pass is visible with its multi-coloured mountain face. Its a short steep descent to the base but Meptik La (3750m) can be climbed in 30 minutes at a slow leisurely pace. Once again, you will be rewarded by fantastic views. We then descend to the prosperous village of Themisgam where we visit a castle.
- Day 12. Final day of trekking
- Our last day of trekking starts with an easy descent before an ascent to Bong Bong La (3650m). Continuing further, we walk through breath-taking canyons and enjoy views of pastel coloured mountains with snow-covered peaks. An easy descent to the road where we meet our vehicles for the drive to Lamayuru, In the afternoon, visit Lamayuru monastery - one of the largest and oldest monasteries of Ladakh.
- Day 13. Onwards flight via Delhi
- Single-timed group transfer to Leh airport onwards flight via Delhi.
- Day 14. Arrive UK
- Depending on flight schedules, some flights arrive back in the UK today.
FOR A DETAILED ITINERARY AND MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE TRIP DOSSIER
- Trop grade: C - Demanding
- Duration: 13 days
- Trip code: TILT
- GROUP SIZE : 4 - 12 (Max)
- Max Altitude: 4,200m
- Accommodation: Hotel x 4, camping x 7
- Meals: 10 breakfasts, 10 lunches and 10 evening meals
- Departs: June to September
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Delhi
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements