8 days | From £659 | Self-guided, for 2 or more persons travelling together
- Hiking in North Cyprus offers coastal walks, mountains and pine forests
- Experience the unspoilt scenery and Cypriot hospitality
- Explore small north Cypriot villages
- Walk along the Five Fingers Mountain
- Explore the untouched Karpaz Peninsula
Discover the unspoilt corner of the Mediterranean. North Cyprus is renowned for its blue skies, crystal clear sea lapping onto uncrowded beaches and rugged beauty of unspoilt landscape. It has 200 miles of beautiful coastline, secluded coves and golden sands. As well as superb Turkish influenced cuisine and friendly people. There is also an abundance of history with ancient city sites, Byzantine period basilicas with intricate mosaics; timeworn churches, and rural traditional Cypriot villages.
Our walk from Kyrenia to Karpaz takes you across the Kyrenia Mountains, through pine and cypress forests, along coastal paths and to monastery ruins. During your free time we recommend a visit to the picturesque historical town of Kyrenia. Walk along the rugged Karpaz coastline, stopping off at villages, churches and monasteries along the way.
The Karpaz Peninsula National Park is relatively untouched by the encroachment of modern development, it is almost like stepping back in time with the traditional rural Cypriot villages and arable way of life. Karpaz is a natural haven for rare fauna and flora plants including ancient olive groves and wild orchids of Kalkanli, and the pine and cypress clad hills leading down to golden sandy beaches.
- Day 1. Arrive Ercan
- Depart UK and arrive at Ercan Airport where you will be met and transferred to your hotel in Lapta, Kyrenia.
- Day 2. Walk the Kyrenia Mountain range
- Transfer to the start of the trek over the Kyrenia Mountain range across to Antiphonitis Monastery and the 12th Century Virgin Mary church with its beautiful frescos to Esentepe.
- Day 3. Walk through the Kalkanli Olive Grove
- Walk through the ancient 'Monumental Olive Trees'. The grove dates back to the Lusignan period of the 1200s. During your walk of the olive groves you may also wish to visit the ruins of Ayios Maenilos and Ayios Nikolaos church.
- Day 4. Bellapais Crusader Path
- Follow the trail to the Bellapais village and 12th century abbey. Now in disrepair the Bellapais Abbey iconic Gothic arches are a favourite subject for artists and painters.
- Day 5. Five Fingers Mountain Trail
- The trail leads you to the limestone massif, 175km in length with spectacular views.
- Days 6 and 7. Karpaz Peninsula Coastal Walks
- Enjoy walks along the rugged coastline. The Karpaz Peninsula is natural haven for rare fauna and flore, including the green and loggerhead turtles and rare wild orchids.
- Day 8. Depart Ercan
- Transfer to and depart Ercan. Arrive UK.
- Trip Grade: B - Moderate
- Duration: 8 days
- Trip Code: TCKK
- Max Altitude: 853m
- Accommodation: Hotels x 5 nts, Guesthouse x 2 nights
- Meals: 7 breakfasts and 5 evening meals included
- Departs: March until November (except August)
- OVERSEAS JOINING POINT : Ercan Airport
- IMPORTANT : Make sure your chosen holiday is guaranteed to run before you purchase your air tickets and make any other travel arrangements